Extreme Weather QUIZ | Build your Vocabulary
Weather is the condition of the atmosphere at a particular place and time, such as the temperature, and if there is wind, rain, sun, etc. Extreme weather is when the weather becomes excessive, such as too much sun or too little rain causing a drought. Do you know the words connected with extreme weather?
Match each word or expression from the box with its definition below. Look up the words in Oxford Learner’s Dictionaries and use the information in the entry to help you.
blizzard, dust storm, electrical storm, eye, flash flood, hurricane, sandstorm, thunderstorm, tornado, twister
1. a calm area at the centre of a storm
2. a column of water that is pulled up from the sea during a storm by a column of air that turns round and round rapidly
3. a violent storm with very strong winds that move in a circle. There is often also a long cloud that is narrower at the bottom than the top
4. a snowstorm with very strong winds
5. a storm in a desert in which sand is blown into the air by strong winds
6. a storm where there is very strong wind but little rain or snow
7. a storm that carries clouds of dust in the wind over a wide area
8. a storm with thunder and lightning and usually very heavy rain
9. an informal word for a tornado
10. a violent storm in which electricity is produced in the atmosphere
Answer: electrical storm
11. a violent storm with very strong winds, especially in the western Atlantic Ocean
12. a violent tropical storm with very strong winds
13. a sudden flood of water caused by heavy rain
Answer: flash flood
How many did you get?